Pages

Monday, July 25, 2011

Homemade Cookie Cutters

A few months ago, after seeing a couple of people make their own cookie cutters, I bought one of those make-your-own-cookie-cutter-kits, thinking it would be as easy as they said it was.  Long story short...it wasn't.  I tried to make one of those cute little plaque shapes that are only available as copper cookie cutters, and I'm not yet willing to pay $15-$20 for a single cookie cutter.   About five minutes later I gave up.  I'm really not a quitter.  I'm the type of person who works really hard at something until I master it (like cookie decorating, for example).  After breaking the metal because I bent it the wrong way and then tried to fix it by bending it the other way, I just knew I didn't have the patience for it. 

I think it all has to do with the achiever in me.  According to the strengthfinders test I took years ago when I worked in an office job, achiever is one of my top strengths.  In their description of achiever, they state that achievers tend to not want to do something if they know they can't achieve the goal.  I hate it when those things prove to be exactly right.

Anyway, earlier this month I received an order for luau cookies, and I decided that I had to do a hibiscus flower.  After looking through my cookie cutters and searching all of my favorite cookie cutter retailers, I could not find a cookie cutter that I thought would make a good enough hibiscus flower.  And then I remembered that dreaded kit I bought months ago.  So I gave my husband the prettiest smile I could muster and talked him into doing it. 

And I'm so glad I did, because as much as he really hated doing it and has insisted that he really doesn't want to do it ever again, he did great and I LOVE the way it turned out.  I know I would have lost my patience and given up after the first petal.

I took the opportunity to experiment with the cutter when I made those train cookies a couple of weeks ago, so I just used those colors I had on hand.


It took the longest time to convince him of the fact that it was perfect, but I guess we all judge our own work harsher than others do.

1 comments:

Grant and Vicki said...

Wow! They ARE perfect! I like the colors. Congratulations to Matt too! What a team!